Friday, June 07, 2013

The Sacrifice

What are you willing to give up to reach a goal?

I have five months to train to run a 5K in less than 25 minutes. I do have a lot of work to do to reach that goal considering I run a 5K in 31:27 on an average. I also have some sacrifices to make ...and the sacrifice of choice is to quit drinking beer ( and booze) for five months. This should be a  breeze.

For you photog fanatics like me,
I promise, next time I'll have better focus!
Smile!
You might think that it's a bit steep, but I have a few good reasons to quit.

I'm not a big drinker, nor am I an alcoholic. Being single, and living alone means that I tend to go out more often. Having a drink with dinner doesn't hurt your running goals, but in my personal opinion, alcohol is a treat that I can live without.

This will be a challenge because it is summer time, and there are a few exciting events that are going to happen from now- and October 13th.

*  For starters, I live on a lake. There's something about going out for a boat ride, or chilling out with friends by the lake and cracking an ice-cold beer at the end of a busy day.
*  In a month , we'll celebrate the 4th of July. As of now, I have no big plans. So I guess I have nothing to worry about then, do I? 
*  In the middle of the summer,  my parents are celebrating a major milestone for their 40th wedding anniversary. I'm not sure what the final plans are- but I'm pretty sure that I'll be tempted to have a celebratory drink- or two- or three.
*  Then it's Labor Day. No big deal- just another excuse to go out and drink with friends. Right?
*  My father is celebrating a special birthday in September. I know he doesn't want me to make a big fuss over it because it's a number he can't believe he's reached- in other words, we're probably going to throw a pretty big party for him. So there will be more temptation to drink a beer with him.

There's something about non- drinkers that  makes people uncomfortable. I don't know what it is. It's the same thing about healthy eating. For some reason, people have a problem with those of us who choose healthier meals, and stay sober to exercise more often. I've never understood their logic.

When I change my eating/drinking habits to reach an athletic goal, I tend to feel the peer pressure. That's pretty sad considering I'm 37 years old- you'd think by now I'd have more respect from my peers but - I have more pressure instead.

So today, Friday June 7th- is the first day of my journey to living booze free!

What's Beautiful? 
Five months to a better body for the Five Kahne 5K! I'm excited!

*My secondary goal is to get you to register for this 5K- check out this website for more details!
www.kaseykahnefoundation.com!



No comments: