Sunday, June 16, 2013

From derailed to reconnected

I decided to stay home this weekend and take advantage of watching a sermon online. Uptown Charlotte is about 12 miles or so from where I live, so there are times I need to be conservative with my gas mileage and today was one of those days where I had to keep the car parked.

Elevation Church is sending their campus pastors on a road trip, and they get to preach at different locations. That also means a preacher other than Steve Furtick will lead the main sermon; today's sermon was preached by Pastor John Bishop, he is the one that relocated to Toronto, Canada to open the newest campus.

I personally believe it was fitting for P. Bishop to preach about what to do when your life gets derailed. He has first hand experience from having dealt with infertility with his wife- and the fact that he was relocated to Canada when he was happy living in Charlotte. So the question is,

"What do you do when unforeseen circumstances derail you?"

It seems that my life struggles are so weak compared to others, but the reality, my problems are not less significant because I don't suffer from cancer, or that I didn't lose my house in a storm, or that I don't have to raise kids alone. We have become a society where people love to compare their problems to others, as if it justifies your situation may not be so bad, and it's okay to ignore it.

Living single puts you in so many situations where you have to deal with financial responsibility alone. Living within your means takes on a whole different meaning, Some people think it's easier, others think the solution is to get married.
As a society, we need to stop treating the single life as it is a disease, and marriage is the cure.
Sure I did make the conscience decision to be single for so many different reasons, and I know it's the right choice for me. Living single, not dating seems to be the only thing in life I am in control of, besides my work-out routine.
Every relationship I've been in - I've been derailed and re-routed in to a different direction than I planned on. And not for the better either.

That's what this blog is about, what do I do when I have a passion to live my life as I see right for me- single, with God, as an athlete and writer, and hold on to my friendships, and to maybe start a relationship.

It doesn't matter what I'm facing today, God is a good God and he'll see me through this path I'm on. I feel like I'm at a dead end from a detour that I was thrown in.
How do I convert the detour that derails me, into an engine that drives me forward? There are three answers.

 Realize my position.
Where am I? What am I fishing for?
The answers are a little bit personal to reveal online, but I can say that I strive to live a more stable, balanced life with boundaries that are respected. I need to make sure my boundaries are understood. I'm slowly becoming complacent,which is the place I pray to never be! Time to snap out of it, and reclaim my passion!

Reclaim my passion - and my passion with God.
Passion can make us act strange, and make wild decisions. Sometimes, being passionate makes us seem a bit, obsessive, and maybe insane.
I'm sure you now know that I'm passionate about a fitness lifestyle. I've often been accused of obsessiveness, and the reality is - that drives me forward and leads me to success. To be a strong leader, you have to be passionate, and effective.
As you can also see, I'm becoming more passionate about living a Christian lifestyle.
My passions include sports, and writing, and Christ. To be a positive role model to my niece, and other children.
The list of passions I have could go on and on and on- that I could write a novel about them. The reality is, I'm a passionate person and there's nothing I do without doing it passionately, or I won't do it at all.
A message to men, especially because I've been told this a million times, if my passion is to strong for you, then you are the wrong man for me. Just accept that.

Remember my purpose.
When I understand my purpose,  I can see my value.
Once I realize my purpose, and my value, I believe setting my boundaries and sticking to them will be easier. It will probably make my peers respect me more. Maybe, when I take a firm hold on to purpose, my friendliness won't be misunderstood, taken for granted, and abused.


Bible verses this sermon was based around: John 21



No comments: