Sunday, September 09, 2012

Sunday football fun-day! Week 1

Football season started today and I for one am excited! If you had visited my house today, you would have thunk you walked into a sports bar. Except I was alone all day. 

This is my attempt to write about my opinions on the games I watched today.
Disclaimer: I am not a football journalist! This is my blog, my personal opinion and my personal perspective.

Sure, I'll mix facts with opinion but if you're looking for a statistical,  play-by-play, re-cap of the game, I suggested you check your favorite football teams website. 

I have no shame to admit that I am a life-long New England Patriots fan. I grew up in New Hampshire, lived in Boston from 2002 until 2008 and I will forever be a Bostonian sports fan. 
I had the privilege to meet some of the players in July when they were guests at New Hampshire Motor Speedway for the Lenox 301. 
Joey Logano, driver No. 20 for Home Depot
hangs out with three members of the NE Patriots
July 2012
Photo credit: Genevieve

But- I barely know anything about any other teams. I couldn't tell you who the quarter back is for ..Miami, or the Jets or even the Steelers. I decided that this season, I'm going to learn and get to know other teams. I've got the NFL Ticket on Direct TV and I won't let it go to waste. 
I do want to eventually play fantasy football. So this season, the  promise I 'force' myself is to learn as much as possible and join a Fantasy League in 2013! 

So, without further ado, here's my Sunday football fun-day re-cap.

Patriots 34  v. Titans 13

New England Patriots traveled to Nashville for the season opening game to face off with Tennessee Titans. 
I missed the kick-off, shame on me. But it was obvious from the minute I turned the TV on,  the Patriots were the dominate team. Even after Brady was hit in the face and had to nurse a bloody nose, he was able to focus (as usual) and lead the team to victory.
They had a stellar game and the team looked solid. It was the Patriots that I know and love, and I was not disappointed or bored. 
Rob Gronkowski scored a touchdown for the team in the second quarter. When he went to the throw the football down for celebration, it fell out of his hand, hit his leg and flew in the other direction. He looked at his empty hand surprised. The referees had to watch the catch and review the play for the opponent had tackled Gronk, but not in time. He caught the football with both hands, had both feet in the end zone and the touchdown was legal.
Today's win marks the ninth straight season-opening win for the Patriots, and it's the current longest streak in the NFL. The Patriots have a habit of making records, to date, they are at three Super Bowl wins. 



 Panthers 10 v. Tampa 16


I live in Charlotte's metro-county, so it's fitting that I give my new home team some love and attention. They are not a threat to the Patriots, for one they aren't playing each other this year. Unless of course they make it to the Super Bowl and after today's snooze fest, I don't foresee the team making it to the biggest game of the year. I could be wrong..but the Panthers have a lot of work to do. That is for sure. Cam Newton better step-it up! 
The Carolina Panthers flew south to Tampa to play against the Buccaneers at Raymond James Stadium. Tampa Bay had the first touch down, leaving the Panthers at zero for the first half. In the third quarter, Newton through a touchdown pass. 
It was all the Panthers had for the day. 




Seahawks 16 v. Cardinals 20

With the NFL ticket, I got to watch two games at once and the Seahawks were on my laptop while the Panthers were on television. 
I decided to pull for Seattle. Call me crazy, but I love the Seahawks colors and they had on cool new uniforms. Plus, I can't wait to visit Seattle, Washington where two of my favorite bloggers (Jess and Cheryl) live. 
Cardinals played host to the Seahawks and they were determined to win the season-home opener in their house. 
Today's game was not easy to watch, especially since I had to refresh my laptop several times. 
Aside that, the teams scored three points in the first half. 
By the fourth quarter, Seattle had hope for they were ahead 16-13. Unfortunately,  Arizona had a touchdown that bumped up their score to 20. 
 In the final 59 seconds, Seahawks had a chance to score the final touchdown, but the Cardinals didn't let that happen. It was a nail-biting intense minute that lasted longer then a minute. We all know 59 seconds left of play time in football, usually means another 5 minutes before either team actually score.

Those were the three games  I focused on the most today.  I tried to pay attention to the Steelers versus Broncos game. The biggest news of day was that my biggest rival, Peyton Manning is now wearing orange and playing quarterback for the Denver, Colorado Broncos. Sure we've known this all summer long, but today was the day the fans 'felt' the change the most. I personally don't care in the least bit where, or who Manning plays for.

Next week:
NASCAR will be starting their 'play off' season also known as "The Chase." I'll be watching that for sure.
I'll highlight Michael Waltrip drivers for my column "Drivers to Watch" on Skirts and Scuffs, which you can read on Friday. 
The boys will be practicing in Chicagoland, Illinois on Friday at 1 and 4 PM. Qualifying will be on Saturday at 1:30 
The race is scheduled for September 16th at 1 PM and can be seen on ESPN.

Sunday is also the Patriots home-opening game and they'll host the Arizona Cardinals. The game will air on Fox at 1 PM.




No comments: