Sunday, August 19, 2012

It's your workout -so- own it!

I may not be a "world class" athlete (yet), but I do consider myself a successful athlete. I'm consistent, self-motivated and self-disciplined.  Those are three words I tell people they need in their daily lives to reach their goals. Living healthy isn't a fad, or a hobby it's a lifestyle and if you don't make it your lifestyle, you can't possibly reach your goal (whatever it may be).

Not everyone wants to train like an athlete as I do every day and that's fine. A lot of people prefer 'moderation' and that is good too. Please do not misunderstand me. There's no denying however, that consistency, self-motivation and discipline is the only way to reach your goal. You only need an hour of exercise a day, at least three or four times a week to stay in good health.

I also want to say, to be successful in your journey, you have to remember this:

Your journey is 'yours!'
 Don't care about what I do in the gym. What you do is for you no matter what anyone says. So, if you choose to walk, run, dance, zumba, yoga, pilates, lift weights, crossfit, cycle, swim, kick box, martial arts, boxing - it's your work out.

Have Fun
Just because you exercise, does not mean it can't be fun. I truly believe, after hearing the comments throughout my workout life, that the number one reason why people don't work out regularly is because they assume they can't have fun...or relax while exercising. Work out time is 'your' time and it's your responsibility to make the most of it. And to be honest, your time is not the same as my time. In shape will not always mean, "my shape." Your shape is yours, have fun! Get out with friends. Take a ball room dance class with your significant other. Play sports with your kids. Whatever you choose to do, make sure you love it and you own it.

You are what you eat!
Eating healthy is important and no...you can not out train, or out run a bad diet. I'm not making that up, it's a biological fact, ask your doctor. That does not mean you can't eat ice cream, drink a beer, have pizza or chocolate. It means you should be moderate. Eat healthier breakfasts, drink more water, include more veggies and fruit in your diet. There is nothing, and I mean nothing wrong with eating a healthy entree, and indulging in a piece of chocolate cake afterwards. You are not contradicting yourself when you do this, you're balancing yourself. It's when you deprive yourself  that you start to feel like you "can't" eat healthy and it's also when you think of it as a 'diet.' Think of it as a lifestyle, it's no different then brushing your teeth or taking a shower.

Hang out with like minded and supportive people.
I once believed you are who your friends are, and some people challenged that belief. I decided that since I do not judge people, that I would open up my time and make room for people who are not of like mind. I dated and lived with a man who is my 100% exact opposite, as were his friends, sister and family. To say it didn't work out is an understatement. It was awful. I lost myself, I lost my identity, I was miserable, I gained weight and lost self-respect. He was un-supportive and tried to change and control me. I was suffocated by him emotionally, mentally, financially and physically.  Fortunately I found myself when I left him. I luckily had enough self-respect to walk away before I was completely destroyed. Stay true to yourself as I promised myself I'd stay true to me. I need to learn to say no more often and not worry how people interpret why I said no.
Fortunately, I found a group of friends that are my opposite and are still supportive. I'm slowly making friends with other athletes, and that's very important to me.
I'm a jock - I'm an athlete.  I train to compete and I challenge people who are better then me, those who run and swim faster, lift heavier and hold better yoga poses. Don't try to keep up with me, keep up with yourself. When I exercise, I'm in 'beast mode.'

I set my standards high, I set my goals high.  This weeks goals are subject to change, but here is an outline:
Sunday: Yoga for Athletes at Gotta Yoga Studio from 2 to 4 PM
Monday: Strength train. Time run a 5K on treadmill.
Tuesday: Swim.
Wednesday: Strength train. Run.
Thursday: Swim. Slow, deep yoga.
Friday: Morning run. Strength train.
Saturday: OFF - Going to Bristol Baby!

FALL GOALS:
5K in September - for St. Judes Hospital and Fox and Hound at Birkdale Village - to finish it.
5K in October - for Kasey Kahne Foundation in Charlotte - to run it in 25 minutes or less.

And I recently found out about a 10K taking place nearby, I'm thinking of running it just to challenge myself.





4 comments:

Coach Jen said...

Great reminders! Go for it do the 10K and see what you can accomplish :-)

mcculljl said...

i absolutely love your advice and tips on this post! thank you for the great insight! SPA love!

jillconyers said...

Your tips for success are exactly what I tell anyone that asks about running or fitness or whatever the case may be. Good luck with your goals!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much ladies! I love your comments! Yay!