Thursday, August 30, 2012

A runners journey!

On Tuesday, I attempted to face my biggest workout obstacle: running hills. I have to say that I hate running hills.

Actually, I've always hated to run anywhere for that matter. Of all my years of exercising, I would do any other kind of athletic activity that did not involve running. I tried to play softball when I was a teen, and I even played the 'catchers' position to avoid running. But, I hated running so much, I had to quit softball. I just did not like having to run from one base to another; especially when the batter hit a homerun and I was on first base. That was a hell of a run for me.

So how did I go from hating to run, to loving it and not being able to go a day without a short run?

 Four scores and seven years ago..JUST KIDDING! I had to throw in some joke in there.

Living in Boston, you are surrounded by runners. Especially marathon runners, naturally I met a few people that inspired me to run. Still hesitant and reluctant to run, I just did what I could do on the treadmill. One  Boston Marathon Monday I went to watch some of the race. I stood at the 25 mile mark and I was so inspired, I had tears in my eyes. What a feat to accomplish. Yet, it wasn't enough to get me running. No matter how proud I was at my friends for accomplishing a 26 mile run, or a half marathon, a 10K or a 5K...I was not going to join them.

Best running shoes!  
In March of 2008, my niece died. The only time I felt peace was when I exercised. I would walk around Lake Quannapowit almost every day. I even brought my bicycle out for a few rides. Sometimes I would Rollerblade around the lake, but I never ran. I might have tried to sprint or jog from time to time but I never got myself to actually run.

That summer I moved out of Massachusetts to live with a man in a small, unknown town in Upstate, New York. The closest well known city was Albany. I felt lost, lonely and miserable and I wasn't sure how to fix my mistake (the mistake was my moving out there). I didn't want to be there, that and the pain of my nieces death was still fresh- as was the pain of losing my favorite job. I joined the YMCA and it was the only place I felt sane, complete, content, peaceful. I would lift weights, take cardio-kickboxing classes, swim and then...I tried to run around the indoor track they had. It was the only thing I could do to keep myself focused on my life. I needed to find a way to enjoy my relationship with my then boyfriend, and I needed to find a way to be happy to live in a small town.

For anyone who has ever lived in the city and moved to small town knows that the difference is big. It was  a hard transition for me. I was used to public transportation- I was used to walking everywhere I went. That was impossible to do in 'small town Upstate, NY.' I had to drive everywhere and it sucked. So ...taking up running a few times around an indoor track is what I did. I started to love running...and when I moved out of town, I didn't quit running. I kept running  and running.

In October 2010, I ran my first 5K and loved it! I've been living in a small town that could possibly be considered a small city...and there are so many sidewalks and places to run. Training here is easy and I love it, especially since I run along side a lake sometimes. Other times I run in a beautiful neighborhood with gorgeous mansions.

In October 2011, I ran the same 5K in Charlotte and I ran slower than the first time. I was disappointed. So I set a goal to run the 2012 5K in less than 30 minutes. Now...I want to finish it in less than 25. I'm pretty ambitious. When I set my mind to something, I go for it. I know there are some facts I need to face about running this 5K  in less than 25...but I feel like I can do it. The course is a bit different this time, and it's a bit flatter then the last two years...so that makes me feel more confident.

I am not the fastest, or the best runner. I feel like I have bad run times often but I don't care I'm running and I feel good when I'm done. I love how good I feel, how energized I get when I'm done with a run. I love how running is me time...and it's also fun time.  I'm hoping to run a 10K in the next year or two and I hope to run a half-marathon in the next four years...just the fact that I believe I can do it is an accomplishment.

Now ... bring it!


















3 comments:

Natural-Nesters Sisters' said...

Hey there.. Fellow SPA. So glad to have read this. I like you have not always been a runner. And I like you am certainly not the fastest.. but I sure love it. I love being able to call myself a runner. Those races are darn addicting, right? Boston.. I would LOVE to visit there! :) Keep running Sister!!! I am following your blog now!
Cassey

Unknown said...

Thank you Cassey - so happy we met!

mcculljl said...

amazing story! youre such an inspiration! thank you for sharing this, and keep on running hard! SPA love!