Monday, March 19, 2012

Theme song to life

Each time NASCAR travels to Bristol, Tennessee for a race, the CUP drivers get to pick a song to be introduced to during their driver introductions.  I love to hear what the drivers like to listen to, seeing as though music is my love. I always have to have music playing to stay motivated. I have a wide variety of likes, I like something from almost every genre, almost.
So this March, here are the songs drivers chose. I've added my thoughts, as well as a song I'd pick for him.


AJ Allmendinger is not a member of Hendrick Motorsports, he is on the Penske Race team. I still have my eye on him. He's the guy that has so much to gain, his talent is sure to shine more often this year. He chose the song, "Pride,"  by a band I've never heard of before, Five Finger Death Punch. Punk rock music is not my style, I'm not so sure it ever was. I guess though, it shouldn't come as a surprise, he is a California boy and from my understanding, a lot of people in the sunshine state tend to like punk rock. I'm not sure what song I'd pick for AJ, he's mentioned he likes a lot of music. The song, "Walking on Sunshine," by an 80s band called Katrina and the Waves is on my mind right now. His firesuit is bright yellow like the sun, as is his personality! I'm sure he feels like he is walking on sunshine, since he switched to the Penske team, and he won his first ever Rolex 24 race a few months ago. He's about to win his first Cup race in his career. When? I don't know, I really don't. Maybe in Dover.



Jimmie Johnson's choice was "Jimi Thing," by Dave Matthews Band (DMB). I was a bit surprised by this, I didn't realize JJ was a DMB fan. Then again, he and I are the same age, and he graduated from high school when DMB was new to the scene, that may have nothing to do with it at all. I've noticed that JJ is chill, laid back kind of guy, so is DMB. After hearing the song, I would pick this one for him too. Or, I might pick, "Grace is Gone," by Dave Matthews Band. For those of you who know anything about JJ and his career, you might understand why I picked this song; those of you who do not, I'll tell you that the title says it all. I'm not saying JJ's career, or Championship wins is by far done and over with, but it is for now. He just needs to re-charge his driving and change things up a bit.



Dale Earnhardt Jr. chose "Walk," by Pantera.  I thought that band was out dated, then again, he could've picked an older song. Like me, Dale likes a lot of older music, he is passionate about music as I am. The biggest difference that I know thus far is that, he can play instruments, I can't. He also supports VH1 Save the Music charity, which is one charity I like too. I wonder if he'll race the VH1 Save the Music car in the All-Star Race again this year. I said this last year, and I'll say it again, I'd pick "All Fired Up," by Pat Benatar for Dale. Mostly because the lyrics, "I believe there comes a time when everything just falls in line; we live and learn from our mistakes, the deepest cuts are hear by fate, all fired up!" I, as well as thousands of others, think it's Dale's time to win a race. Will it be in Fontana, or will it be at the track I'm attending, Martinsville in two weeks?

Jeff Gordon chose the song, "Flash," by Queen. I honestly do not have an opinion on this song, except, 'Queen?' Really? From the break dancing moves he's made in Las Vegas last year during Champions week,  I'd pick a more hip hopping kind of song like, "T.H.E. (The Hardest Ever)" by will.i.am (ft. Mick Jagger and Jennifer Lopez). Gordon drives hard for wins, and is aiming for his 5th Championship title, I know he prefers to race hard with others, especially in the end. I'm sure he has the, "You can go hard, or go home," attitude about racing.

Kasey Kahne picked a country song yet again. This time it was "Rodeo," by Garth Brooks. I tried to listen to it on youtube, but sorry Kasey, it was too country for me. I guess I would get used to it, or I wouldn't mind the song if I were in a crowded bar with good company. I actually liked the song he picked awhile back, "Pretty Good at drinking beer," by Billy Currington. A long list of songs come to mind when I think of the song I'd pick for Kasey, but one that I truly think I'd pick is " Barefoot Blue Jean Night," by Jake Owens. The song is best described in the video, the singer is riding boats around the lake, and hanging out on the beach. I know Kasey likes to ride his boat on Lake Norman, and he likes to chill out on beach, or at least, that is my understanding of him from what I'd read so far.

After putting a lot of thought into this, I decided that my theme song will be by one  by my favorite singer,
Miranda Lambert, and her band, Pistol Annies, "Hell on Heels."


What song do you pick to be the theme song of your life? 

(to find out what song your favorite driver picked, check out NASCAR journalists Jeff Gluck's post on SB Nation: At Bristol: 2012 Driver Songs List For Driver Pre- Race Introductions.)







No comments: