Thursday, June 23, 2011

Single & Happy

Living single is what you make of it. It can suck and it can be boring and a bit lonely, or you could be like me and make your single life exciting and entertaining.
I love to be single, sometimes a little bit too much but it works for me and I'm happy.
I will always find a way to keep myself busy enough to not feel so lonely that I can't live with myself; I will never feel the need to date 'just anyone' to distract myself from being alone.
I recently read a book about a woman who calls herself a 'serial monogamist.' In other words, the minute she's single, she meets someone else to date. She can't live with herself so she needs someone else to be with to avoid being alone.
A lot of women are like this, they prefer to be in a relationship and are willing to give up everything just to have a boyfriend. These women eventually wake up to find themselves starring at a stranger in their mirror. Or worse, they realize they are with a scary, abusive and dangerous man.
I'm a 'serial singleton.' In other words, I enjoy being single so much that never really find reasons to date anyone and most times, I'll find ways to do things alone, instead of being with a group of people.
I consider myself to be the 'Queen of Girls Night Out' because there's always something to do with the ladies. There's a chic flick to watch, a salon has a special for mani's and pedi's...wine night at the wine bar, you name it, a night in or out with the girls has always been on my priority list. Just about every birthday I've hosted for myself, I made it a "Girls Only" affair.
I can do better all by myself. I've found that the biggest successes I've had in life happened when I was absolutely all alone, with no one there to either turn to or to distract me. It's much easier to fall into 'tunnel vision' when there's no one around that begs for your attention and the best part is, you reach your goals.
Is it lonely up there on the top of your game?
It all depends on how you look at it.
It's important to know what's more important to you and when you sit down and think about it, remember, the reason you made it to the top alone is because the people you left behind didn't believe in you and didn't want you to make it to the top.
The woman who succeed in both career and relationships are the ones who have confident boyfriends who aren't afraid to date a woman whose light shines as bright or not brighter than his does.
Remember ladies, the right man will never want to dim his girlfriend/wife light.
So if you find yourself in first place and alone, trust me, it sure is better than being 'unsuccessful' with those who don't give a shit.
Walk away from those who hold you back and if those people really truly kindheartedly care about you, they won't leave you, they'll find a way to be there and will make sure you get what you want in life.

In the end, I am the girl that would rather be lonely and successful then lonely in relationship; and I'd rather be single with all of myself then to be with someone that wants half of me.

6 comments:

JC Daniele said...

I always say, "It's better to be alone than in bad company." Subsequently, I've spent a lot of time alone. Good thing I happen to like my own company!

I agree with you. There's no good reason to date something unless you truly enjoy being with them.

Annie Boreson said...

Absolutely it is better to be alone than test drive a lot of losers. No doubt about it. Terrific analogy that the women who succeed in both career and relationships tend to be the one who have confident partners...and are not afraid to find a mate whose light shines brighter than theirs.

JessicaLee said...

Well said! I totally agree. While I am part of a couple and have been most of my adult life, I LOVE my alone time and he and I encourage each other to spend plenty of time apart with friends and alone. I know people who have spent decades with the wrong partner simply because they don't want to be alone or married someone with no "spark." No thanks! A relationship is so much work anyway (even the good ones, which I believe I have!) I don't see why anyone would invest time and energy with the wrong person. Girls' nights are the best. :)

Michelle said...

Have you ever read something that completely applies to your life at that very moment and freaks you out?..thats what you just did to me! I am really happy to be single right now and exploring me and doing things i enjoy instead of being distracted by someone else. I was feeling down thinking that I should want to be dating but in reality i'm not ready yet, and that's fine. Relationships are great but the one with yourself is most important. Thanks for this :)

-M&M

Unknown said...

Thanks to all of you who commented, you know I appreciate it so much! I want to help girls and myself with moving on from the negatives and move to a good relationship ...thanks again!

Peabea Scribbles said...

Well put and sounds very mature to know that another person doesn't make you...you make yourself.

Thanks for visitng and leaving your link at my Share-A-Thon.

Peabea