Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Finding the right dog is as much work as finding the right man

It's been a long time since I've blogged about relationships but I've been thinking of getting on that wagon again.

A few months ago I wanted to adopt a dog. The thought of being a dog owner appealed to me more and more everyday. Every time I went for a run, I'd pass by dog owners and I'd feel a bit envious that I didn't have one. I was up late one night looking through dog websites to find out which dog breed I wanted. I know what I like when I see it, but, would a specific breed fit me and my life style? I was amazed how much information I found about dogs and making sure that I found the right breed for me.

Then I came across a site, NextDayPets.com, and they have a "BreedMatch" section on their site. I was surprised by it but I fell for it.
There's a section for you to write what kind of dogs you have and what kind of life you live. For example, do you like long hair or short hair? Do you prefer a big dog or a smaller one and most importantly, do you want one that needs more or less exercise?
I discovered that the dogs that best match my life are not the ones I think to be cute. For example, I love the T-Cups, Westies and the Pugs. However, these pups don't need to be athletic and don't like to go out for long runs much. Bummer.




Not long after my search for a dog, I met a man and not online. I met him while doing something I love to do, hanging out at and watching a race.

I once tried online dating and the good it did for me is that made me understand what I really wanted in a man but it didn't help me find the right one that much easier.
So I doubt "BreedMatch" will either.
It's odd how finding a the right man and the right dog is hard work. I personally seem to have a challenge finding the right man and dog that likes to get out for exercise.
Like men, the cute dogs aren't usually the right ones for you either.

No comments: