Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Four Seasons: They always change, as should your life

Today is my anniversary and I'm congratulating myself for a personal accomplishment that only I understand.

A year ago today, I was driving south to start my new life in the North Carolina. I had the car packed to the top and drove the 14 hours from New Hampshire to Lake Norman and I was excited.
Some believed I made the move a tad bit early, that I could've waited one more summer, that I could've done this or that but I made my mind up based on the information I had available at that time.
I had been vacationing in the Carolina's for seven years because my sister has lived here and the more I visited, the more connected I felt. Something in my heart told me that I needed to be here.
Moving from one state to another isn't easy, especially when the states are a days drive apart from each other. Finding a job is hard and finding a job in a tight economy is even harder but I knew then, had I not taken the plunge when I did, I may have spent the rest of my life saying, "One day I'll move to Charlotte."
I've missed a lot of opportunities and given up on a lot of goals due to the 'one day will be the right day,' attitude.

When I moved my heart was set on building a new life, one more stable and serene.
I didn't know anyone except for my sister, niece and my brother-in-law. One personal goal was to build a stronger bond with them, to be their friend and to be much closer to my niece. I take my role as aunt seriously and I'd love to be a positive force in this young girls life. That goal is a work still in progress.

I knew life in the south would be different. I had seen the differences in the seven years I've visited. The area I moved to wasn't strange nor was it unfamiliar. I knew the transition would be a bit of a challenge, I didn't have friends but I knew where I liked to eat; where the gym was and where to shop. I knew I loved being by the lake and I foresaw a life built around a 'lakers' lifestyle. A word I made up just now meaning, spending days going for boat rides or maybe jet skiing or just simply, sitting by the lake beach and vegging. I got that part down pat.

I was warned that small town people in the area were different and I was prepared for slower more casual living. In my life, I've lived in the busy Boston city and was in love with city living. In the 26 years I did live in NH, I never adopted to the lifestyles of a Granite Stater and I had my dreams to get away come true with my move to Boston and then my move to Albany, New York. Life in Upstate, NY wasn't easy nor was it fun, my memories of my time there are filled with unhappy and exhausting days of stress and anxiety. Those feelings have subsided since I've left the Empire State.

I didn't set certain expectations but I set goals to work toward. I allowed myself to go with the flow and that's when I met my neighbors. I didn't expect Charlotte to have a hot and happening night life but it's a busy exciting city and I've explored it. Luckily, I found my group of friends faster than a stable job. I've said it time and time again, had I not found friendships or a comfortable place to hang out, I may have run away and quit. My social and night life is not a priority and without it I'm happy but without it, I wouldn't have the support I needed and need to get through the hard days I've faced to find the job I need. I have found temporary employment but I've yet to find permanent work.

I've also made my writing dreams come true, there's more do and more to discover as a NASCAR writer in Race City USA and I'm thrilled to keep on going in that field.(editor's note for those who don't know, the area I live in is nicknamed Race City because this is the hub of NASCAR).

Friendships are the key to success. No one can get ahead in life without a support group that extends beyond your family. Although life hasn't been perfect, I survived and today I'm a stronger more well rounded person for having given myself the chance to move outside of my comfort zone of Boston and New England to the southern states in America.

With my experience, I have learned that if you can survive FOUR hard time seasons, you can survive anything and with all the hardships I've faced financially and economically, I'm proud to see myself still standing with a more positive mind frame than I've ever had in my life.
I have friendships from New England and I have family to thank for everything they have done in my time living up north. I will always go back to visit and I'll always remember the ones I've shared my life with when I was in the north east, however, the friendships and partnerships I'm building are important to me and I can't turn back now.
If I quit now, I'll never accomplish anything meaningful. I'll always 'want' and never see the fruits of my labor.
Today isn't perfect but it's beautiful because anything is possible.
I'm closer to what I want than ever before and the possibility of my wildest dreams coming true are in process, yes, I said process.

I'm not complete but that's okay because I'm living a life; I'm experiencing life and it's filled with pain and happiness and I've learned that the richness of life is beyond the things we stress about on a day to day basis. God put me here because he has a plan for me and I intend to follow that path because I believe I can handle the hardships I'm faced with as well as that success that I've been wanting.

I have one goal to reach right now, realistically, I need a permanent day job to live and that's all I need to be complete. Once that goal is reached, I can become whole again because it'll allow me to live more carefree.

Today, I accept myself as I am and I'll stay true to me, I was born to live an uncommon life.
My life is a journey and I'm a person who loves to explore and learn; I'm adventurous and spontaneous and I thrive on change. Life's not a destiny nor should there be a day when you are so complete that you stop reaching for more.
Settle with moving on, learning more and reaching for more. Be content with the changing and the unknown, life itself has never stood still, the four seasons are never the same, nor should the way you live your life.

I will not run away North Carolina, I'm here to stay.

2 comments:

Annie Boreson said...

Congrats on finding a permanent place that you love and for building a great foundation in which to meet your dreams!

JessicaLee said...

I remember last summer you were so excited and nervous for the big move. I am so glad you're happy there! What a difference a year makes. I can relate to the life change/new place thing. ;) Nothing like a fresh start!