Friday, September 14, 2012

Final four weeks of 5K training

The next four weeks of my life are going to be hectic, and busy.

I like it that way.

I'm registered for two 5Ks thus far (a third is possible)...and the race that I've been training for all summer long is in four weeks.

My first race is next Saturday on September 22, 2012. It's hosted by Fox and Hound, the 5K Charity Run benefiting the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. It's located in my favorite spot, Birkdale Village.
The 3.1 miles will be run around the 'village' twice before shooting down Lindholm Drive for the final leg.  I do not have a goal time for this race, actually, I just want to see how long it will take me. This is the practice 5K.
I ran the route for practice this morning and it was a bit tough, more so than the last time I ran it. I was tired, very tired. So exhausted that I should have taken the morning off from working out to prevent injury.

To run from my house to Birkdale Village and back is 4.62 (or so) miles. Catawba Avenue is a really busy street and to cross it can be dangerous. Then you have to trudge along on the grassy way so you don't get hit by a car. It can wreak havoc on your ankles, shins and knees.
I've been nursing sore shins and calves for the past week - since my last run to Birkdale. I didn't stop running, I've been out there running every day- plus I've kept up with my weight lifting schedule. Now, I just need to get to a yoga class everyday and I'll be fine.

On Sunday, the 23rd day of September is the Rambling Rose Triathlon. I am not ready to participate, but I will certainly be there - cheering on the participants and learning.

The second 5K I'm contemplating on doing is on September 29, 2012. I do not have all the details of this race, all I know is that it's in the Peninsula in Cornelius. I've run there plenty of times, except I've never measured my distance or timed my pace. This would be a great training experience for me. I also know this race would be benefiting a Bone Marrow Foundation.


The final 5K is the Kahne Five 5K in Charlotte on October 14th - hosted by the Kasey Kahne Foundation. This will be my third time running it, and this time, there's a new route. Apparently, he chose a less 'hilly' route. In the past we left Bank of America Stadium (aka Carolina Panthers football field) and after running a few hills we ended at the NASCAR Hall of Fame. This year, we start at NHoF and end there. I foolishly joked  with Kasey (via twitter, so I'm hoping he didn't read it and I don't have to be accountable, just kidding) that I would beat his time this year - a little overzealous of me, I know. He is able to run 3.1 miles in 20 minutes. But I need some incentive, it'll be a tough weekend. I write about NASCAR and that is the weekend they are racing in Charlotte. The race is Saturday night and I usually leave the media center around 2 AM on a race night. I can't complain though - the guys racing the 5K all go to bed late the night before because they too are at the track. Forty-three guys are racing 500 miles on a two mile oval  with steep turns in a 3,400 pound car that gets to be around 100 degrees or more -for four hours. All the while wearing a lot of protective gear that weighs a lot.
I've been tired running that 5K before and I wasn't as strong of a runner as I am now, so this year, I just hope to finish the race in less than 30 minutes- if not 20. That's my goal and I'm sticking to it.
* For fans (and non-race fans) who want to participate in this 5K, please sign up at:  KaseyKahneFoundation.org


 Here is my 7 day training  schedule

Week One:

Saturday 745/8 AM- 3.1 mile run at Birkdale Village; done!
Rest

Sunday - 11:30 Long, slow deep yoga - done
An afternoon of rest and relaxation while watching racing and football

Monday- One mile -morning- run in the neighborhood - done!
Evening- weights - upper body strength train - done
1 hour yoga - done

Tuesday
Long run - 3 miles -done
Leg routine (strength) - done
**tried squats on a biso ball and loved it!*
At home 'yoga stretch' - done

Wednesday - 7:30 AM run in Birkdale - (1.75 miles) done
9:45 Hot Yoga with Kim Z - done!


Thursday- Morning run in Birkdale



Friday- OFF Rest, and prepare for Saturday!
Pick up race packet at Fleet Feet


Saturday-  8 AM 5K Charity Run in Birkdale! 
















No comments: