Friday, October 28, 2011

Six Pack Abdominals

The other day I overheard a conversation between two girls at work, they were talking about exercise and losing weight. As usual, they talked about how many sit-ups they did and no matter how many they did, they couldn't get that four pack or six pack abs.
As tempted as I was to jump into that conversation, I sat still with a smile on my face and ignored them.
The truth is, even when I competed in fitness modeling, I couldn't get a six pack. I was close to four but I only got two visible lines. My routine may eventually come to surface but for now, I want to talk about the average person.
The real reason why the average person who works out will never achieve the six pack look is because of their bad attitude toward healthy food.
Six pack abs come to those who eat extreme healthy food and limit their calorie intake, even with liquids. Six pack abs come to those athletes who do more than sit-ups. They swim, run, lift heavy weights and basically understand the concept of a total body work out. In other words, work on your entire core, not just your stomach.
Those who do have six pack abs do not eat: bread, butter, starchy carbohydrates, condiments like mayonnaise (including with their tuna), crackers, chips,  beer, wine and all other forms of liquor, sugary foods or liquids (syrup in their coffee or lattes), pork, ham or food with sodium. That is just a small list, the diet is intense as is the lifestyle.
When I did compete, I did not drink alcohol nor did I go out with friends on weekends. I lived my life focused on my routine and 'diet' on a day to day basis and didn't let anyone's negative opinion stop me.
It takes a disciplined lifestyle with a strict exercise and diet and as far as those 'cheat meals' are concerned, they are limited to putting a little sugar in their oatmeal or maybe eating whole wheat pancakes with syrup.
At the end of the day, the choice is yours, eat what you want and settle for the look the food gives you or discipline yourself to eat the food that gives you the look you want.

No comments: