Wednesday, May 11, 2011

When can you call yourself a writer?

This has been a topic of conversation in the past: When can you really call yourself a writer?

Recently, I met a woman who claimed to be a writer; impressed I asked her questions, 'what have you written?' 'what's your blog address?' all appropriate questions to ask and her response was "Oh I don't share that stuff and I haven't been able to write anything in two years, I'm too tired."

I sat down curious about why she felt entitled to call herself a writer. As I got to know her better, she told me she didn't feel the need to share her writing and most important, she never did anything that helped inspire future writing; not online, not in college, not with friends or family.
I on the other hand have shared more stories, blogs and articles then I can count. In the past six years, I've blogged about everything from personal relationships, to friendships, to heartache to happiness, to losing my niece and grandparents; to health, fitness, exercise, nutrition, Red Sox, Patriots, living in Boston, Politics, campaigning for a President; the rights to vote, moving to Albany, NYC trips, living with a boyfriend, living with family, moving to Charlotte, restaurant and bar reviews, NASCAR and now I'm going to press conferences as well as being scheduled to be in the media for two future races in Charlotte and NH.

Right before I took off to Bristol Motor Speedway last March, this very same woman advised me to sit it out and go some other time after I confided in her about my worry that it's a bit of an expensive trip.

I didn't take her advise; it occurred to me that she was filled with advise but her words were discouraging. She never once went out of her way to inspire herself to be a better writer, nor did she ever want people to read what she did write, so why should I listen to her? She took the safe road out, she got a desk job, doing the same thing every day for about five years of her life. Sure she has some money, a boyfriend, a few kids but she is not a writer and she can't tell me how to approach my journey to be a writer.

A writer, whether paid or not, is someone who writes every day. Someone who finds inspiration in every thing she/he does and goes out of their way to educate themselves and learns from other writers by reading every single day.
Writing is also a lonely hobby or job. It's hours of sitting alone at a desk, lost in your own world with characters; if you're into news writing, it's imperative to be accurate on quotes and details and no matter what you write, it's time consuming.

A few years ago, I met someone who didn't think you should call yourself a writer unless your novel was published; so I wonder, if you publish one novel and get paid $20,000 for one release and never write again for the rest of their life more of a writer then someone who writes everyday and doesn't get paid a lot?

I've heard every criticism known to man. I know more discouraging and disrespectful people then positive, helpful people. I've been in arguments about my spending money to be a better writer; I've even ended a relationship with a boy and moved out of his apartment because didn't support my journey (okay there were other reasons but lack of support was on the top of the list). The negative people are out of my life and I don't miss them. My question is: what right do you have to give me advise if you've never written a damn word; never been more successful than me and more importantly, never read a word I wrote?
The bottom line is this is my choice; it's my passion; I can't help it. I read; I write.
I write articles in my head when I'm driving or running or swimming or taking a shower.
I honestly do not know how to spend one day without writing something, even the few that I choose to not share with the world.
Whether or not I become as rich and successful as Danielle Steele, Stephen King or Candace Bushnell or heck even TV broadcast writers like Barbara Walters or Dianne Sawyer or Tom Brokow is not important to me - it would be sweet but it's not important.
A few years ago, when I competed, I trained every day and my trainer told us we were competitors, even if we hit the stage once,twice or 100 times because being competitive is in our blood. She even told us the only way you'll succeed is if you call yourself a competitor (or writer); live it and it'll come, she advised. Practice and it's yours. I'm a former competitor but I still have that competitive spirit; I even compete writing.
I train every day. I write every day. I read every day. Paid, successful or simply just as a hobby I am a writer.

Please check out my articles on Skirts and Scuffs. Especially check out the press conference I attended at Charlotte Motor Speedway with Dale Earnhardt Jr.

5 comments:

Laurie Boris said...

Writers write. That's it. It doesn't matter how much. It doesn't matter how little. It doesn't matter how often. It doesn't matter how much money you make. It doesn't matter whether you've had a book published. Writers write. If it's your passion, you will find it, or it will find you. As far as other people's advice? Take what works and leave the rest. And keep writing.

JC Daniele said...

Laurie said it all and far better than I ever could!

Peabea Scribbles said...

Not sure. I guess Laurie is right, but even though I write some things, I never really considered myself a writer, I've considered myself a wannabe writer. I guess it's up to the individual. I think writing is awesome and some are better at it than others, but if you enjoy putting the word to paper and it gives pleasure, than I would say you could call yourself a writer. I'm sure there are dry spells so not sure the volumes of writing matters or how often. Keep up whatever you're doing as you seem to be on the right track.

Unknown said...

Thanks ladies and although you're right, I hold true to my opinion that if you want to help me, make sure you're better. I'm cool with people who don't want to share their work with the world, but, if you want to teach me, share your work with me.
Remember, the best way to learn how to be a better writer is to read.
Talk all you want but if you don't write or read, you never learn.

JessicaLee said...

Couldn't have said it better than Laurie if I tried! Writers write. Now, there's certainly a gray area. If you haven't written in years, don't have a blog and have never shared your stories... perhaps you could call yourself an aspiring writer or one who likes to write for themselves as a hobby. Maybe it's when you FEEL like a writer? For me, it was a gray area when I started freelancing because technically I was being paid to write but it was things like sales letters, web copy, etc... but when I saw my travel articles in print, got the Days of our Lives gig and joined PNN, I felt OK claiming the label. :) I don't think getting a book published matters because I know plenty of professional writers who would NEVER want to write a book!