Sunday, May 08, 2011

Happy Mothers Day

When the rest of the world walked out on me, she walked in and gave me hope.

My mother taught me the most valuable lessons in life, without her, I wouldn't know how to speak in English. My memories of those days when I was six years old are faint but I know that because of her, I learned to love to read and write. We shared some books and we both love to spend hours at Barnes and Noble. She allowed me to express my thoughts, imagination and taught me that it's okay to be creative.
I do remember how I would fight with her about eating my vegetables and fish; I bet neither one of us ever imagined I'd grow up be a health enthusiast like I have but it's all because of what she taught me when I was young. I sometimes have to remind her that I prefer my veggies raw but I still prefer veggies and fish over any other food.
I remember the nights we'd play the music loud as we danced around the living room to Heart, Bonnie Taylor, Micheal Jackson and Madonna records. I remember how she would always drive us to dance, gymnastics and swimming classes. In the summers, she and my dad took my sister and I to Girl Scout Camp, where we spent two weeks in the woods of Vermont; riding horses, canoeing the 43 miles on the Saco River; surviving in the rainy cold or very hot humid summer weather. It was all possible because of her.
Growing up wasn't so easy but she stuck around, never giving up on me when she probably should have. Between Poison concerts, teaching me how to drive, learning to be a part time employee while going to high school and finally graduating, she was there and I never knew why but I guess that's because she believed in me more than anyone else did, including myself.
Our time together changed but it's always been valuable; from beach trips to fancy restaurants; to walks on the Marginal Way and long lazy days at Ogunquit Beach in Maine; to that time we spent in Boston Commons, walking around Boston on a bright sun shiny day and she tried to help me study for my Contracts Law class I was taking in college.
Or the night we went to that bar for a beer in the Theater District before the Blue Man show and I can't forget the most important days of my life.
She was there when I learned to be a fitness model; she helped me out when I needed sponsors to afford competing; she listened to me when I was stressed and frustrated and couldn't focus or was scared of my future.
She listened to me oh did she listen to me; she's sat there for millions of hours of her life listening to all my dreams, hopes and aspirations from the day I was born thru today. She even listened to me when I talked to her about things like how awesome it was that the Patriots won the Super Bowl and how the Red Sox games were coming along and now all my NASCAR stories; she doesn't care about any of that sports gossip but she listens to me and I could tell you I don't know why but the real answer is because I'm her daughter and all she ever wanted was to know I was happy and now I can tell you Mom, I am happy.
I'm happy with my imperfect life because the little things, the small successes in life matter most. It's the conversations we had when we drove from NH to Canada or those days we drove from New England to North Carolina. From the scary landings at Logan Airport during snow storms to the fun day riding motor cycles with dad, friends and cousins David, Steve and Kevin during Bike Week in Laconia.
I know I didn't grow up loving gardening but I grew up to love the outdoors, appreciate traveling, fine dining and most important, the value of family; the little one I have with her and dad as well as the one I have with my sister and niece. It's also about the relationship I have with myself - it's all so special so I thank you Mom for being there and for reminding me to never give up.

No comments: