Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sports Bashing

I am a sports fan. My favorite teams are The New England Patriots; Boston Red Sox and Dale Earnhardt Junior (NASCAR). Being from Boston, I feel I owe respects to the Celtics and sometimes to the Bruins.

With that said, the first time I heard real bad team bashing was at my first Red Sox game. The guy I was with and I were walking down Lansdowne Street and I heard a roar from the crowd, "Yankee's Suck; Yankee's Suck: Yankee's Suck."

Being a new Sox and sports fan, I didn't get it and thought the silliest thing, "Oh my God, we're playing against the Yankee's?"

He laughed at me.

I knew the Yankee's were a big deal team and the Red Sox fans were not supposed to like the Yankee's. I just didn't know that everywhere you went in Boston, you'd hear "Yankee's Suck; Yankee's Suck!"

In the years that I lived in Boston, all I heard, no matter where I went was, "Yankee's suck."

Patriots win the Super Bowl, "Yankee's Suck."

Bruins are struggling, "Yankee's Suck."

Red Sox win the World Series, "Yankee's Suck."

No matter what, no matter where you go in the city of Boston, be prepared to hear the chant.

A group of college girls got together one day and decided to make Red Sox t-shirts for women. Their most popular one was "Real women don't date Yankee's fans."

Yankee bashing in Boston gets old.

I have become a fair weather Boston sports fan recently. I've been more committed to NASCAR for many reasons. I'm quickly learning that bashing a driver in NASCAR is alive and well and if you want to support someone, be prepared to hear rude and disturbing comments.

Dale Jr. is voted the most popular driver yet he's also the most criticized. Non Junior fans have a lot to say and are not afraid to say it.

Spring of 2010
Same goes for other drivers. Some people have the rudest comments to make about Jimmie Johnson, who won 4 Championships in a row.

When I lived in New York, I heard horrible comments made about Boston sports teams. I got used to it.

I was going to say, sometimes I miss being a diehard music fan. No one is rude in the music business. But that's not true; Kenye West proved that at the MTV Music Awards last September.

I guess you could say that if you're in the lime light, people will be rude and have nasty things to say. If you're going to be a fan of anyone in the lime light, you just got to roll with the punches; take the comments in and ignore them because the truth is, I'm sure everyone has something rude to say about a team, a driver, a band, a singer, an actor a movie, a Politician, a writer or heck, a blogger.

No comments: