Thursday, September 23, 2010

Hopeless Celebrity Romantic





Loudon, NH June 22, 2010

I always said that if I met a celebrity, I wouldn't be that weirdo that got freaky, crazy, silly and speechless.

I met Bret Michaels of Poison when I turned 15; it was before his show in Springfield, MA. I got my picture & autograph and walked away bouncing up and down like the happy school teen I was. You could say that was the best 15th birthday a teen could have. As I stood in front of him, I was speechless.

This weekend, NASCAR is in New Hampshire. It's a four day event for the diehard fans. The campers come in on Thursday as do the haulers (18 wheelers). Some of drivers have promo's in town so they come up on Thursday's and they also need to be prepared for practice and qualifying on Friday.

Tonight was a free night at the track for the fans. There's a hauler/rig parade. All the big rigs drove by parade style, hooting their horns and giving us fans a chance to take pictures. Kind of cute, kind of corny.

Oh, did I mention, I forgot my ‘expensive' camera at my sister's in North Carolina. Yeah, I know, what the hell was I thinking? Thank God for cell phones!

My dad made a comment that tonight a driver would be at a local seafood restaurant near the track and close to my home. I might've forgot to mention, I live 20 minutes from the track so that almost explains why I'm a fan. So I decide to stop by this bar to see who's there. I really was tempted to stay for a drink but I changed my mind when I realized it was packed with people I didn't know and there wasn't a free seat at the bar, that always turns me away.

Then I look in front of me and who do I see? A legendry driver; to NASCAR, he's known as 'The King.' His name is Richard Petty. Now, as I said in the beginning, I never wanted to be the ‘fan' fool so I didn't do much except stop in my tracks, thinking, 'Oh my God!' I was tempted to take a picture of him from afar and then I thought, "is that rude?"

So, I decide to leave. I figured I missed my chance to meet him. I walked out the way I walked in, through the bar. As I kept walking outside, believing I missed my chance, guess who walks out of the restaurant part? You guessed, Mr. Petty. Again, I'm not a fool so I didn't do anything but then he turned to look my way and of coarse I waved and said hi.

Then, I laughed. I walked up to him and suddenly, I was shaking his hand and trying to speak. I said, "Hi Mr. King."

Yes, I said, "Hi Mr. King."

His name is Richard Petty; Mr. Petty.

He laughed with me and put his arm around me to hug me and to calm me down; then he kissed the top of my head.

I didn't know what to say so I asked for a picture. I got my picture.

Now, I love his driver, #9, Bud guy, Kasey Kahne. When I say that, I mean, he owns a team and one of the guys that drives for his team is Kasey. (if you need to know more, go ahead and ask and I'll explain).

I also love Dale Junior. So, if I was silly and speechless around Mr. King, I mean, Mr.Petty, how the hell will I react around Kasey, or Jeff, or heck, Dale?


I had hoped I wasn't hopeless but maybe I am.

Some of my friends are ‘hopeless romantics,' I'm not but I guess I'm ‘hopeless celebrity romantic!'

No comments: