Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Tuesday Tunes: Kenny Chesney - Boston

I love music so much - and at times it does make me sad that I never took time out to learn how to play guitar. But that's not important now. As a teen, I figured, if I can't grow up to be the musician, might as well be the journalist that writes about the musicians. Little did I know then how life would turn out- I should've never walked away from that childhood dream of mine!

Because I am a writer, I always wondered if I'd be able to write the lyrics to a song. I've tried to write songs, but without rhythm or melody- it's just a bunch of words. Song writing is not like poetry- or journalism- or fiction story writing.
Sometimes, when I'm daydreaming I wonder what a singer would write about if I told them my story. Sometimes, a song feels like it was written for me, have you ever felt that way about any song?

I often joke that Kenny Chesney writes songs about me, and some songs for me. I can sit still and listen to his music. Especially to the sound of his voice as he sings one song after another without getting bored. But I do think when I listen to his songs- sometimes too deeply. He has a way to pull me into the music- and there are times tears will spill out of my eyes. We have lots in common, that Chesney and I. He loves the islands, the beach; and loves to walk around barefoot in the warm sand. He loves rum- he even made a bottle/brand of his own called Blue Chair Bay Rum. Can't wait to try it with pineapples and coconuts.

I hate that I'm missing him in concert in Charlotte this weekend. I also  hate to admit, I've never seen him play live. I've entered many online contests to try to win tickets to no avail., and I've yet to get lucky.

One night, I wondered- if Kenny Chesney were to write a song about me, what would he write? Then- I heard the song Boston. My heart skipped some beats.
Hold up - that song seems to fit me to a T! It's an island song- with soft acoustic guitar. If you know me well, you'll understand why this means a lot to me! The only thing is, I moved to Charlotte, not some warm tropical island, but I can't wait to find myself in a place so warm and real. So here are the lyrics to one (of many) favorite Chesney song!



She comes from Boston
Works at the jewelry store
Down in the harbor
Where the ferries come to shore
She never really knew how good it would feel
To finally find herself in a place so warm and real

She wears a Red Sox cap
To hide her baby dreads
The girl she was in New England
Is different now and dead
In all the local bars
She flirts and tells the boys while they're talkin'
She's from Boston

She comes from Boston
Talks to her family now and then
Through e-mails and postcards
She tries to explain to them
That education and occupation will have to wait for now
She loves the Rasta, reggae rhythms, her dreams have changed somehow

She wears a Red Sox cap
To hide her baby dreads
The girl she was in New England
Is different now and dead
In all the local bars
She flirts and tells the boys while they're talkin'
She's from Boston

Her toes dig deep and deeper in the sand
She's seduced by the sunsets and her new life at hand

She wears a Red Sox cap
To hide her baby dreads
The girl she was in New England
Is different now and dead
In all the local bars
She flirts and tells the boys while they're talkin'
She's from Boston

She wears a Red Sox cap
To hide her baby dreads
From Boston
She came to this island from Boston




No comments: