Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Rest days are important days to your training!

Most people have problems with getting started in a new exercise routine. The reason why these people often struggle with succeeding in their workout goals is because of the famous excuses: "I'll start tomorrow; I'll start Monday;  I'll start after New Years Day, on the third of January." OR: "I had a candy bar for snack today; I ate Doritos; or I ate pizza for lunch." So that makes it okay for them to skip a workout.

Don't fall in to that trap. If you say it everyday- you'll never do it. Just do a little bit every day until you're in a habit of exercising. Creating a new habit takes 30 days; breaking a habit takes 30 days too. Sometimes, creating one new habit while breaking one habit at a time is the best way to go, which is why most experts recommend a 90 day challenge, instead of 30.

My problem lately has been the opposite. I say I'll take a rest day today, and sometime later I'll be taking a walk, going for a run; in a yoga class or at the gym or heck, I'll be lifting dumbbells while watching TV or something. I've had weeks when I didn't go to the gym or the yoga studio, yet I was tired from working out too much. Why? Because I finally learned how to exercise at home. I workout anywhere. I'll run outside; I'll swim in a pool or a lake - or go to the YMCA. I'll play a sport, or if I start running around with my niece, I suddenly turn it into  a workout.
My niece is three years old and has been showing a lot of interest in dance and gymnastics. That means play time with her is showing her how to dance, tumble and believe it or not, yoga poses! Teaching her inspires and motivates me,  and my rest day is shot.
I have issues, I understand the importance of rest day...but I don't do it often. I'm not saying I haven't had "off" days because I've had plenty. Lately - I haven't had many and I'm struggling to sit still and relax.

Rest days are important because your body and muscles need a day to recover from being pushed to their limits. It's when you rest that the magic happens. Muscles grow when you sleep, and fats burns when your resting. Well...if you don't sleep too much or rest too often that is. If you're competing, you train every 12 hours for at least six days a week. If you're not competing  you should exercise four-five days a week. Taking the weekend off is common, but sometimes a Saturday or Sunday workout is the best workout because you're not pushed for time (that is, if you have a M-F job). Some people don't exercise on days they are off from work and that's perfectly okay; other's of us know that a day off from work is the best day! I'd love to have an every other day schedule. With my training for 5Ks, 10Ks and half marathons, I know it's time to switch things up and find balance between three exercises that I love: Weight lifting, running, and yoga. Swimming is another favorite exercise of mine but I do it more often in the summers than in the fall, and winter.

Sometimes I think struggling to take time out from exercise is because the internet is filled with so many inspiration tips, and advice on how to stay motivated to exercise. I think I read into those posts way too much.

So, if you are like me, let's talk about fun things to do to get our minds off working out; running; yoga or what ever your favorite workout routine is.

Movies/TV shows: I love to watch movies and there are times when I can sit still and watch movie after movie after movie. It's rare I watch TV shows, but there are a few out there that can pull me in and keep me focused for hours. Going to a matinee at the local theater is also a good idea during your scheduled work out time. That is, if you exercise mid-day or nights like I do!

Sleep!: If you exercise early in the morning, then sleep in! Enjoy an extra hour or two of well deserved sleep! It's  a really good treat for your body AND mind!

Clean the house: Not a fun activity but re-decorating, laundry, vacuum, dusting needs to get done; so save it for your 'off workout days.' Zone in and clean up and you'll be too tired to exercise. Or at least you should be! Another tip, clean your car! If you own your own house, rake the leaves, mow the lawn! It's an active rest - but it certainly tuckers you out enough to not want to go the gym!

Learn a new hobby: such as photography; drawing; painting; baking; cook new foods; sew; cross stitch/nit.

Cook:  Learn new healthy recipes OR- cook a treat like brownies! Prepare your weekly meals and snacks. Or, take a rest day on a Sunday and watch football- or NASCAR race and treat yourselves to bar food or an ice cold beer. Or a fun drink you haven't had in awhile because of how focused you've been with eating healthy and exercising daily!

Read!: Wow, it has been a long time since I've read a good novel. Getting sucked in to a controversial Jodie Picoult story while drinking coffee/tea is a great way to relax and one of my favorite rainy day activities!

Write!: True story- if you don't already know- I'm a writer and most writers do not exercise as much as I do. Not saying they don't at all...I'm just saying athletic writers are a small group.
This November, I'm participating in NaNo. That stands for National November Writers Month. The goal is to write a 50,000 word novel- or the start of your novel. That means I'll be busy writing everyday, that means I need a strict workout schedule and will be limiting exercise training time. This could be a good thing, this could be the start of where I finally find the balance between effective work outs, and accomplishing my writing goals, and dreams.

Those are my tips.

What do you do to successfully survive a rest day without feeling bad about NOT working out, or running?




No comments: