Friday, June 29, 2012

If I died tonight

Death happens to someone everyday and whether or not we like it, we are all going to die one day.
My family has been faced with a lot of death lately, in the last four years, I've been to more funerals then I've been to baby showers and weddings.

Last summer my godmother died 7 short months after being diagnosed with cancer. It was an unexpected surprise that caught everyone off guard. She was someone who loved life and had a desire to live every day for a long time. She lost her battle on August 3rd. She had the most painful, yet beautiful funeral I've ever been to. She planned out all the fine details, from the songs, the Bible versus to the flowers. She even wrote a goodbye message to her closest relatives; it was read out loud in Church by her eldest son, and my godfather handed out a beautiful flower when the message was read (to me).

I recently read a post by a writer who honored Nora Effron, a favorite screenwriter of mine who passed away recently (for those who don't know her, some of the movies she wrote were "When Harry Met Sally," "Julia and Julia," and "Sleepless in Seattle"). This post was talking about a list Nora wrote called, "If I died tonight I won't miss - and I will miss."
I was inspired to think about my life. If I were to die today - what would I miss - what would I be thankful is over?

We always write our bucket lists of things to do while we live, but we are not guaranteed a future. We may never get to see the day we reach that goal. So how about taking the time to write out a list of things we've already accomplished? And a list of the things we won't miss?
Without further ado - here is my list.

I won't miss:
1. Cold winters & icy streets
2. Air condition
3. Taxes and bills - and high gas prices
4. House cleaning, especially dusting, dishwashing and cleaning the toilet!
5. Unnecessary cruel comments - bullies and living on defense
6. Shaving
7. Hang overs
8. My wide hips and small breasts
9. Sleepless nights and restless days
10. The not knowing -
11. Wasting tears and time on the wrong man
12. Turbulent plane rides
13. Overcrowded trains in Boston or NYC
14. Cramps and getting my period
15. Driving in traffic


 I will miss
1. Sun rises and sunsets
2. Lazy beach & lake days and nights
3. Swimming in the pool and the ocean
4. Yoga - AND Hot Yoga with Sarah!
5. My niece - my family & everything that happens to them
6. The taste of avocado
7. A glass of wine and good conversation with friends or cousins (I said a glass as in 1 or 2)
8. Reading and learning new things
9. Morning coffee breaks - the taste of delicious dark coffee
10. Trips to the race track- the sound of loud engines & a ride around the track
11. A man's kiss & touch
12. Daydreaming
13.Creative writing
14. Laughing at dumb & good jokes
15. Singing off key to my favorite song
16. Reading to children & spending time with them
17. Watching a movie at home or at the theater
18. That feeling of accomplishment
19. The euphoric high I get during and right after a work out
20. Manicures, pedicures, and body messages
21. A trip to the city (Boston and NYC)
22. Lacy, sexy lingerie
23. Wearing my bikini all day and night
23. Helping other people - volunteer a day at a shelter
24. My first trip to California - or an island - or a foreign country
25. Warm, summer rainy days
26. Rainbows
27. Chocolate
28. Smooth plane rides & looking down at Earth from the sky
29. The taste of pasta sauce
30. The smell of perfume - especially Gucci
31. Kami - even though I already said I'd miss my niece, I'll say it twice
32. Feeling the warm sand underneath my feet
33. Outdoor naps in the sun
34. Watching men play sports and drive race cars
35. Warm baths (and showers)
36. Sunny and comfortable chilly winter - snow- days
37. Campfires on cold fall nights
38. Boat trips on a lake
39. The chance to try to surf
40. Photography
41. Sitting in the media center at a race track



It's amazing how the lists turned out. I'm sure I can think of more but for now this will do. What will you miss if you died tonight?

No comments: