Monday, June 11, 2012

8 Simple Rules of Dating me- Rule 1


In the next eight days, I'll do something fun - I'll post my dating rules. There are eight of them, and they are all so simple.

I just heard you say,  "that's a bit harsh Gen!" - didn't I?

Well, maybe so. Let's face it, I've made a lot of dating mistakes, actually I've been very successful at failing in every relationship I've ever been in.  Since I can't tell you what other people want or like in relationships, I'll tell you what I do like and want in my relationships.


It amuses me that people assume that singletons are single because they fear rejection- or that we're too lazy to take on responsibility. How so? Rejection is a part of every day life, and we must face it whether we're single or not. To  live a happy single life, you must be self-motivated, confident, and self-aware. You're also responsible for absolutely everything you have - no on is there to help. You can't fear rejection, nor can you be afraid of the unknown. For everyday is a mystery.

I have a bold personality. I put myself out there and I take risks. I've made a fool of myself in public - while interviewing celebrity athletes. If I fear anything, it's the fear of never doing anything risky again. 

I do fear becoming complacent.

I wonder why people also assume that if I were  to be in a relationship, I'd be happier. Without going into specific detail, and to not lose sight of the purpose of this blog, I do want to say the number of adults my age living single, (without children) is at it's highest it's ever been in the history of mankind. 

Though I do enjoy this outgoing, supposedly glamorous lifestyle of living single, I also enjoy dating from time to time. And sometimes, I wish that dating, there was someone looking out to throw either the green, yellow, or red flags at you - like they do during a NASCAR race. Actually, we do have friends that throw out the flag, we probably ignore them. One major reason for all the failed relationships is that I've ignored every red flag that was thrown my way and proceeded without caution, -even with that yellow flag waving in my face. I dared to ("green flag") date men that were so different than me, that the relationship was doomed from the start.

Without further ado, here is the start to the dating series: 8 Simple Rules to date me. These rules are stemmed from previous dating experiences, and they are the eight red flags I hope to see...and maybe one day, when I stop compromising so easily and stick to my guns, I'll find Mr. Big. 


RED FLAG ONE: You must love my glasses.


An odd rule, I know. But I have an ex who seriously made it clear that he hated to see me wearing my glasses. He argued with me often about going out to get lasik eye surgery.
picture taken spring of 2011

Trust me, it was an eye-opening experience. His dis-approval actually hurt my feelings, but it also confirmed that I love wearing glasses. He's out of the picture, and I still have my glasses!

 If I were rich, I'd buy more glasses of different shapes/styles, and color. Glasses are my accessory,  I would actually match my glasses with my clothes. I'd also buy more sunglasses too. 

If you're the type of guy that wants me to get lasik eye surgery, then we're not going to be able to date. 


Love Genevieve 

1 comment:

Wearmanyhats said...

I am getting a kick out of your dating rules. I remember going back in my brain and I didn't sit down and just make a list of "rules" but I suppose I had them. Considering the kinds of duds I dated over time, I wish I had defined them clearly.

At first I thought, "Glasses?" Seriously? But then I thought more. You know, if someone can't look past glasses, can't love them as a part of who you are, then that tells you BUNCHES about that guy. Good for you!

I will look forward to the next on your list.