Sunday, April 22, 2012

Moving on from the past

What does moving on from your past really mean?
To forget what happened yesterday, a few days ago, a few weeks, months and years ago.
To remember the good times is okay, but it's not okay to dwell in old glory days, as it's not okay to dwell in the painful days.
Remember the lessons learned, and how some people made you feel. Don't go back to what slowed you down at first, and don't assume what was right for you then, will be right for you now.

Moving on from my past took on a whole new meaning these past few weeks.

Almost two years ago, I made a scary decision to pack up my bags and move south to North Carolina. I had no idea what I was in for.
I made new friends immediately, and I will be honest, I had an awesome summer, one to remember for a long time. Things in my life are not perfect, I don't have a luxurious lifestyle, but my life is mine. I learned from the bad times.
I've also learned to be thankful for the good times. I've allowed myself to be inspired by people around me. I've opened up my heart, my mind, and opportunities slowly started to come my way.
My heart is on my sleeve, and I've become an open book for the whole world to read.
As imperfect as it all is, it's perfect for me, for now. I have what I need. The good times are more then just memories, they are a path to my future. The mistakes, the hardships are also a lesson to test my strength, my will power, my commitment.

I visited New Hampshire twice in 21 months, once to be in the media center at the New Hampshire Motor Speedway, and the second was because my aunt passed away. I haven't had any intentions on visiting NH since, and I'm only going back this July, to attend the race at NHMS as a member of the media.

My past includes Red Sox and the Patriots, and although they are the team I've rooted for my whole life, it's time I leave them behind. I have no idea who is on their team, what is happening, who is being traded, and who is being recruited. I don't know anything about the Red Sox anymore, and to be honest, I don't care to find out either.
I don't miss anything about New England anymore, except some of the good memories, but those are held near my heart, where they will stay forever.

I've learned a lot about myself, my life, my surroundings, my passions, my interests and the path to a happier way of life, and so far, it's here in the south, as a Carolina lady. Yet, the happier, more grounded, more stable, confident and committed I'm becoming in my journey as a NASCAR journalist, and in my daily exercises, I find that the thorns in my thigh are people I haven't talked to in years that come from my past, and are suddenly popping out of nowhere, thanks to facebook. I've deleted all of my ex-boyfriends that never past test of friendship. The best feeling in the world is knowing how happy you are without the ex, and that you could never go back to him, even if his life is better for him today.

Moving on means moving on, from all things that were never too important in the first place. It also means understanding that even if it was good then, doesn't mean it would be good now. I don't relate to the northerners. I don't think I ever did, which is why I never experienced the happiness I've been feeling lately. I tried to get away from New England for years, and now that I have moved away, I plan to stay away.

I may have been born and raised in the North, but I'm a southern girl in heart and soul.




2 comments:

MCODY88 said...

Well said.

MCODY88 said...

Well said :)