Monday, August 08, 2011

Place's I love in America

I know I haven't blogged in awhile but that is because my personal life took precedent.

Today, I read a blog by Step in the City and was inspired to write. I could write about the places I'd one day love to visit or I could write about the places I do love to visit. So here is my list of places I've seen already and would love to see again.

NEW YORK CITY, NY
I've lived as close as 2 hours from the city and I still didn't visit as often as I should have. I was a student at New York Film Academy, which is located in both Union Square and Soho BUT because I couldn't afford $1,500 a month for tiny studio AND the cost of living, I was taking classes online. For the times I've visited NYC, I had fun. In cold days, in hot days, at night, in the mornings; and yes the time I spent the entire day at my school and missed the chance to tour the city because of the bus schedule to and from Albany. There's something about the city that makes me feel right at home and since I'm a writer, there's a definite connection. I can't wait to visit again.

 (a picture I took on 12/23/2008 of Times Square, NYC)

WASHINGTON, D.C.

The last time I visited D.C. was during a train trip layover; the person I was with was cool enough to walk around the city with me and we got some cool pictures. It was a cold, rainy, gray day and I loved it but we were there for an hour and a half and I swear there's a lot more to see and do in the city and I can't wait to go. Next time, I'm going in the spring to check out my favorite flowers: Cherry Blossoms.




OGUNQUIT BEACH, ME

I will admit, this place is beautiful. I can sit on the beach and get lost in my own thoughts. I love to walk on the Marginal Way and I love to sit at a bar near the beach to eat lobster. This beach is also a family favorite  for a 'once a week day vacation.' I have so many memories of being there with my parents and I look forward to making more memories there with them because not much beats a day or two on Ogunquit. Not far away, there are a few more beaches worth visiting such as Wells and York Beach.

 (this is me on Ogunquit Beach, ME)


QUEBEC CITY, CANADA
My family roots are Canadian and I have family spread out all over Quebec. I've seen Montreal and I know I'll visit the city again but one city I'd love to see again, that I have not seen since I was 12 years old is Quebec City. I don't have pictures of my trip there but I will tell you this, it was during Winter Carnival in January of 1988 and I remember it was so cold I thought I was going to be a frozen human ice sculpture! I also promised myself the next time I visit, I'm going with friends and I'm visiting on my own terms, with no family and if family tags along, they are following me! It is a beautiful city and I'd like to explore it on my own and oh and I'm visiting in the summer!  (Oh for the record, Canada may not be the US but it is North America, just stating a geographical fact that's all.)

BOSTON, MA

I've been questioning if I miss Boston as much as I think I do. I lived there for six years and when I first left, it was hard on me. I made a lot of memories there and I learned to be myself in the big city and sometimes I think I need to go back but I wonder if I do. The last time I flew in and out of the city was two weeks ago and I didn't feel the connection I thought I had. I guess I've found peace with it but I'd love another trip there with my new friends and get out to do the things I know I love to do. I'd also love to visit Cape Cod again...the New England seacoast and I have a special connection that no one can take away from me and I guess I still have a connection to Beantown.
(the view of Boston from an office window I used to work in)

LAKE NORMAN, NC

I'm living on a beautiful lake and last night when I went to bed I realized how lucky I am to have the opportunity to live here. I'm lucky in so many ways and I have an amazing family to thank for it. When I thought about moving to an apartment in Charlotte, I thought, how awesome it'll be to live in a beautiful apartment in Uptown but that means I'd have to leave the lakeside and I've become so attached. I'm convinced what keeps me here is how close I am to the lake. Sure, it's not a perfect made man lake and the water isn't the cleanest; it gets warm, very warm but nothing beats coming home at the end of a hard day to sit on a boat or just on the lakeside for a drink and dinner with good friends. I'm here for good, I'm content here....NOT COMPLACENT...but content (sorry but some people don't know the difference between the two).


So that's that for now, I know I love a lot more places in America and I know I want to visit a lot more places in this great country. I am adventurous and I look forward to exploring America a lot more than I already have.





































No comments: