Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Editing my life, part 1: Redirecting Focus

Earlier today, I took the dust buster apart to dump out the dirt into the trash. As usual, I struggled to put the pieces back together. For some reason I simply couldn't lock it into place. I swore like a trucker; I said a list of naughty words I'd never say in front of my niece and then took a deep breath, turned around and stopped paying attention and decided to put the pieces together without looking and...WHAM...the pieces locked in and the dust buster went from two pieces to one.

I held my breath, counted to three and exhaled.
"Is this a sign?" I asked myself out loud.

I spend my life trying hard to make things work for me in friendships; in fitness competing; in college; in writing blogs, stories and in NASCAR journalism; in my relationship with my parents and sister; in eating healthy; in writing my resume, editing my resume, re-writing my resume, editing it once again and re-writing it all over; in making money and everything else in life that I want to do and do well, yet, I struggle. Just like I struggled with putting the dust buster back together. I was paying attention to how the pieces fit and still couldn't put them together, it's a stupid isolated incident but it made me think about life.
Ever notice how some people just fly through life by the seat of their pants and everything tends to fall into place? I'm not one of those people. I have to work hard and I have to study but more importantly, I pay attention. Maybe I should stop paying attention.
Another thing I noticed was there's always someone there trying to help and give advice. I worry about that. There's too much advice and too much help. There comes a time in life when you need to look at your friends and family and say, "I love you. I care about you and you will be a part of my life forever but I can't accept your advice."
So the point of this blog is, sometimes you just need to stop paying attention and stop asking for help and simply "Do It."

Edit your life - Redirect your focus!

1 comment:

brancatokids said...

Sometimes when we stop trying to control everything in our lives and just live it ...it all falls into place the way it's supposed to be..not the way we planned:) Big hugs sweetie and good luck!