Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A night out with the Bobcats





It was another typical Monday at work; I had finished everything I needed to do and I was logging off and getting myself together to go home, thoughts of a vegetarian gluten free spaghetti dinner were dancing in my head and I couldn't wait to get home to relax. That's when a co-worker asked, "What are you doing tonight?"
He gave me two tickets to see the Bobcats play in Charlotte. I wasn't ready for a night out in the QC, I had on a business suit and uncomfortable old heels but I was excited and grateful for his offer, this was my very first NBA game in my life (did I ever mention I'm from Boston? Yeah, I've skipped many Celtics games).
After texting a few people, I found someone to go to the game with; I ran home to change and came back to the city to find out that I would be joining a group of people to the game.
When we arrived, I sat in my seat amused with my surroundings. The first thought that ran through my mind was, "thank goodness I've never seen the Celtics play!"
Why, you ask. Well my friends, first and most important, The Garden is much bigger then Time Warner and secondly, I just didn't want to spend the night comparing and contrasting. For some odd reason or another, I didn't feel like I was at a Pro-Basketball game. I also know for a fact that the Garden during Celtics game would never be as empty as Time Warner was.
I always know that buying food, drinks and beer is expensive at these venues and events so it sucked that I had to buy dinner at the arena. I hate paying too much money for junk food; plus, now that I have to watch what I eat and try to be as gluten free as possible, it makes going out to dinner harder on me (I love going out to dinner too). I bit the bullet and had pizza anyway. It was an exciting game with lots of energy and excitement; from the dancing poodles to the Bobcat mascot Rufus; to Cats Crew and to the Ladycats; we eventually won with a fight and I left the arena happy.
I got home to kitchen sink filled with dirty dishes; a dishwasher filled with clean dishes; my laundry was still in the dryer and my article for Skirts and Scuffs wasn't finished; everything I had intended on doing wasn't done but I forgave myself. Sometimes in life you just need to put aside the chores and live for those once in a lifetime opportunities; who knows when I'll ever get a chance to go to a Bobcats game for free again.
Since I've moved to Charlotte, my life has been busy and exciting. It's not a perfect life and I still have a lot of work to do to get myself back on the wagon I was once living on two years ago but in the end, I'm happy. A lot of people were in my shoes these past two years with the whirlwind of a failing economy and a roller coaster ride of dead end meaningless low paying temp jobs. I'm now a bit more stable then I've been with my new day job. Things are looking up and that's all that matters. It makes my journey in writing so much easier now that I have a steady income but more importantly, now that I work for a company that I'm proud to be employed by and who knows where this journey will lead to? I'm pretty positive that it can only get better from here on out.
The Queen City is a hopping place and there's so much to do, I can't help but notice that there are a lot of famous people in the city. I'm 'amped' to be a part of it all! So the next time I see the Bobcats play, I hope it's against the Celtics. Which leads me to: Michael Jordon part owns the Bobcats. Shaq O'Neil plays for the Celtics. So, who would you rather have on your team?

No comments: