Thursday, October 14, 2010

Listen to NIKE and 'Just Do It'

Sometimes, I feel a bit silly talking about my life. I know I have a lot of interests and a few aspirations. I know my resume can look a little bit “all over the place,” as one recruiter put it but in reality, I’m just a woman who believes in keeping busy; I also believe it’s important to learn new things. In my personal experience, certain circumstances have led me to having more than one job, that’s what happens when you become an employee (or should I say become victimized) in the ‘temp agency’ world.
With all of that aside, I’ve had a few interests for a very long time, actually since my childhood. One of them is writing, the other being modeling and the third being weight lifting/exercise.
This next week will be interesting for me. On Sunday, I’ll be running in my first 5K, my goal is to run (the entire time) to the finish line. I’ve been practicing running alone for almost two years now. I think this challenge will help my run.
The run is actually with the Budweiser driver #9 Kasey Kahne (Foundation); it’s called the 5K Kahne 5. It starts Sunday (October 17th) at 8 o’clock in the morning. If you haven’t already registered, Kahne is saying there’s still time and you can register the morning of the race. The proceeds will go to his foundation which includes The Ronald McDonald House and the STEM research project. Running will begin at the Bank of America Stadium, also known as Panther’s Stadium and will end at The NASCAR Hall of Fame. After the race, ESPN’s Marty Smith will interview Kahne. Other famous faces that you should see are Joey Logano (driver #20) and Jimmie Johnson (driver #48). Who knows who else will be there.
On Tuesday, (October 19th) I will be attending the Boots and Bikini contest at the Whiskey River and I’ll be judging the competition. After years of modeling and several bikini competitions, I do know I have ‘the eye’ to judge a show. The fact that I’m doing it still hasn’t registered with me yet; I’m a bit nervous but I’m excited and most important, I’m sure I’ll have good time. I'm pretty sure being involved in local competitions like this one and a lot of others is something I'll do from time to time. Participating in competition is food for the mind and soul.
If any of you ladies out there want to compete, please let me know! I promise to be a good judge!
Those two activities are fun for me to do - they are not "career aspirations." I never thought I'd run a 5K but a few months ago I put it in my head that I would go for it; I may never want to run again after Sunday or maybe I will. I pride myself in being open minded enough to at least try new things.
At this time in my life, I’m coming to terms with the fact that I didn’t get lucky in my early twenties with a career of my dreams. I know why ‘some things’ didn’t pan out for me but mostly, when I did put forth an extra effort and tried real hard, I wonder what went wrong. Why did I get stuck in that crazy loop and why can’t I find that one job that pays well and keeps me so interested that I’ll put all my eggs into that one basket?
My sister once said, “it’s because you’re not at the right place where at the right time.” I think I agree with her, that could be fate.
Someone else said it’s because “you really don’t hang out with like minded people.” It's true, when you surround yourself with people who've been there done that or going through what you're going through, it makes it easier to reach that goal.
For some odd ball reason, I never date men that love what I love; or love me for the real me that I am (that's a blog for another day).
So anyway, I’m going to keep having fun and keep diving in head first and I’m going to keep doing what I love to do. Out of all the things I can’t control in life, the few things I can control are keeping busy with fun projects, charities and developing healthy habits, friendships and relationships; oh and going to the ‘day job’ that does pay the bills (yes I do have a day job).
The last boyfriend I had told me that my aspirations were unrealistic and he couldn’t believe that at my age, I was still hoping for success in a career. Here’s my two cents to that comment:
First, if you use your age as an excuse to not go after what you want, you’re stupid. Sure, the older you get, some things change but if you’re like me and your goal is be a published author, trust me, your luck will come later on in life and NOT in your twenties (unless you’re flipping lucky).
Second, the only way your hopes, goals and dreams are unrealistic is if you don’t try. Hey, you can’t win the lottery if you don’t buy a ticket right? If I wasn’t working out and eating healthy; if I wasn’t writing everyday; if I hadn’t trained with the elite trainers of Fitness America and I hadn’t paid my dues at places like Cinderella Modeling and John Casablanca Modeling when I was a teenager; and I didn’t go to college at places like say N.Y.F.A, or NEiA, then sure, my dreams would be unrealistic. But the fact remains, I’m awake and I have and I still work hard to achieve success.
Look, the best marketing slogan I've ever heard is from Nike, if you want something, "JUST DO IT!"

2 comments:

Laurie Boris said...

Do you have to wear boots with the bikini? And will you get to meet Kasey? Love this...

motherofmany said...

I love it!