Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Judging bikini contests

On Tuesday, I attended Whisky River's monthly Boots and Bikini contest, as a judge. The Whisky River (is spelled without the 'e') is a bar located at the EpiCenter in Uptown, Charlotte and owned by Dale Earnhardt Jr; it's a pretty hot and happening spot for adults of all ages.
I kind of took this judging thing a little serious, as I tend to do with most activities I participate in. I didn't need to; it's a bar competition after all. Nothing serious except the prize is cash. I had considered entering this contest in the past, the grand prize is $500; 2nd place is $200 and third is $100.
I used to model and I've competed in Fitness Atlantic in Boston, MA; East Haven, Connecticut and in Toronto, Canada. Before then, I did things with Cinderella Model's In Manchester, NH and with John Casablanca in Newton, MA. So, you shouldn't be surprised to see me at a modeling show or competition of any kind; but, at this point in my life, I'm tired and set with being judged in a modeling; I'd really like to judge and participate in other parts of these competitions. I have other interests in my life other than NASCAR. I love all things modeling, fashion and fitness.
So, this past Tuesday, I show up at the Whisky River around 10ish; dolled up and ready to meet people. My friends couldn't come with me, they don't go out on weeknights and I should have stayed in myself but I took a chance and went out. That was the last night I'll ever go out to a bar alone.
I met a few harmless guys but guys will be guys and after awhile I was irritated with them. Thankfully, the bar tender was friendly and stood up for me. This one guy wouldn't stop trying to order a drink for me and I kept saying no; so she told him she wouldn't serve me unless I asked her myself. Thanks girl!
I waited and waited for what seemed hours for this competition to start. It was getting later and I was getting tired.
Finally, around mid-nightish, the show started. I was on stage with five other guys. The girls came out one by one and it was quick.
You may be asking yourself what I was looking for. I always look for a model's personality on stage. Is she smiling? Is she shy or outgoing? Is she interacting with the audience? I also do look to see if she's wearing a bikini that fits and flatters her. There were about six girls; one of them even traveled as far as Virginia, three hours away. She told me she was going back that night after the show; she had to be in nursing class by 8 AM. I was surprised to hear that.
At the end of the night we awarded the first prize money to contestant #5, Daniel.



The rest of the night was a bit more interesting; I met a NASCAR driver but I'll leave the details for another blog. No, I didn't meet Dale Junior either.
I may consider judging the competitions I used to compete in; there's one coming up this April 2011 in Connecticut. It's more in-depth for it's fitness modeling. Some girls model; others do a vigorous fitness routine. It's a lot of fun and I do miss being in that field.
As for future bikini contests at the Whisky River, we'll just have to take it month by month. I think for now, my nights out on a week night are over.

No comments: