Friday, July 01, 2011

Life w/out a car

**very important disclaimer: this was my FIRST blog that I've ever written. I've re-posted it because of another blog I wrote today, "Out with old, in with the new: Myspace." I have owned a car since 2006.**

I have been living without a car since July (2005) and I honestly believed I would be used to life without it by now, but I'm not.
Not for selfish purposes either. I hate the cold (weather outside) but it's not reason enough. I miss my car for the independence it gave me, for the freedom to turn the radio up full decibel and drive to work at my pace. Or even to run errands, to visit friends and family, to go away on vacation for the night. I also miss my car because, I may not want to work here in Boston forever, and the thought of leaving the city sounds appealing right about now, but without a vehicle, I do not have much choice.
I try to remind myself of the pros : no payments, no worries of gas, maintenance, insurance. Then I realize, isn't that all part of adulthood?
To accumulate assets, not decrease them.
Owning a car also shows personality. I owned a 2000, black, 2 door Cavalier Chevrolet, grey interior. I loved it, I loved driving it and most of all, I loved to show it off. This was the closest I was to my dream car, kinda. I'm not so sure what my dream car is, but this, for an every day life, this car was perfect.
At least, selling my car to my dad is a mistake I can fix. Granted, to come up with payments to own a car, and a studio will be a challenge, but a challenge worth pursuing.
I hope the next time I own a car, I keep it forever, and understand the importance and value of the car, and to not make an impulsive decision.

No comments: